Saturday, 24th of June, 2017
 
  Lakshmi Palace Complex,
Women's College Road,
Gandhi Nagar, BELLARY.
 
  Cell : 98458 37470
About Bellary Home » About RCC » About Bellary
Numerous neolithic archeological sites have been discovered around Bellary, such as the ash mounds at Sanganakallu, Budhihal, Kudithini, Tekkalakote, Hiregudda and Kupgal. The Sanganakallu settlement, spread over an area of 1,000 acres (4.0 km2), is one of the largest neolithic complexes known around Bellary.

Some of the events in the Ramayana have been related to places around Hampi, the celebrated capital of the Vijayanagara empire.

Historically, the Bellary area has been known by many names, such as Kuntala Desha, Sindavadi-nadu and Nolambavadi-nadu.

Bellary was ruled in succession by the Mauryas, the Satavahanas, the Pallavas, the Kadambas, the Badami Chalukyas, the Rashtrakutas, the Kalyani Chalukyas, the Southern Kalachuryas, the Sevuna Yadavas, and the Hoysalas, and also ruled briefly by the Cholas during the wars between Kalyani Chalukyas and the Cholas.

After the Sevuna Yadavas and the Hoysalas were defeated by the Islamic sultanates of Delhi, the Vijayanagara Empire arose under Harihara I and Bukka I, who dominated the Bellary area. Bellary itself was ruled by the family of Hande Hanumappa Nayaka, a Palayagara of the Vijayanagara rulers. After the fall of the Vijayanagara empire, the Hande Nayakas of Bellary were successively subsidiary to the Adilshahi sultanate, the Mughals, the Nizam, Hyder Ali and Tipu Sultan, and finally the British Empire after the Nizam ceded a large part of the southern Deccan to the British East India Company. The Hande Nayakas ceased to be rulers of Bellary after Major Thomas Munro disposed of the palayagars of the ceded districts and established the Ryotwari land revenue system.
 
In 1808 AD, the ceded districts were split into the Bellary and Kadapa districts, and in 1867 AD the Bellary Municipal Council was created. Further, in 1882 AD, Anantapuram district was carved out of the Bellary District. The Maratha princely state of Sandur was surrounded by Bellary district.

As of 1901 AD, Bellary was the seventh largest town in Madras Presidency, and one of the chief military stations in southern India, garrisoned by British and native Indian troops under the British Indian Government. The town included a civil railway station to the east of the Bellary Fort, the cantonment and its railway station on the west, the Cowl Bazaar and the suburbs of 'Bruce-pettah' (currently spelt Brucepet) and 'Mellor-pettah', named after two British officers once stationed in the town. The industries in the town included a small distillery and two steam cotton presses. The steam cotton-spinning mill established in 1894 had 17,800 spindles and employed 520 hands.

On 1 October 1953 AD, the Bellary district of Madras State was divided on a linguistic basis. Areas with a significant Kannada speaking population were transferred to Mysore state, which later became Karnataka state. Areas of the district with a significant Telugu speaking population were merged into the Anantapuram and Karnulu districts in what would later become Andhra Pradesh state. Bellary city itself, with large numbers of both Kannada and Telugu speakers, was included into Mysore state after protracted debate and controversy.

The Bellary city municipal council was upgraded to a city corporation in 2004

Bellary city is situated in the Karnataka State border adjoining Andhra Pradesh.  The state capital Bengaluru is about 305 KM from the city. Bellary city presently has a jurisdiction over an area of 81.95 Sq.Kms with a population of about 3.17 Lakhs as per 2001 census and 4.10 Lakhs as per 2011 census (provisional).

Bellary takes its name from the word Balari which refers to goddess Durugamma as this goddess had manifested herself in the town. With the commencement of construction of several steel plants in the district, the city promises to be "The Jamshedpur of Karnataka" in the 21st Century. The city was ruled by several well known dynasties such as the Sathavahanas, Kadamabas, Chalukyas, Rashtrakutas, Gangas, Chalukyas of Kalyana, KalaChuryas & Hoysalas and thereafter it became the territory of Vijaynagar rulers.  The city also has significant small-scale industrial activity and is one of the major centres of Jeans manufacturing in the country, and it is the second largest city in Asia in manufacturing ready-made garments.

 

 
 
About RCC Banking
MBA CMAT
Online Mock Exams Notifications
FAQ`s Videos
Contact Us RCC Mail
Lakshmi Palace Complex,
Women's College Road, Gandhi Nagar, Bellary, Karnataka - 583 101.
info@ravicoaching.com
+91 98458 37470
Facebook
Twitter
Linkedin Linkedin
YouTube Youtube
Batches Starts
From
AUGUST Onwards...
 
Call : 98458-37470
© 2013 Ravi’s Coaching Centre.
All Rights Reserved.
Hit Counter
       Payment Options  
Cash NEFT Fund Transfer
Developed &
Maintained By
scroll to top